Irish Research Council
29th March 2012
Speaking at the inaugural meeting of the newly established Irish Research Council, Tom Boland, Chief Executive of the HEA said “both IRCHSS and IRCSET have played a central role in the development of Ireland’s higher education and research system over the last decade. I look forward to this new Research Council building on past work and providing a new strengthened body which will be a strong advocate and supporter of new and emerging research in Ireland”
The Irish Research Council has been established through the merger of the Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Science (IRCHSS) and the Irish research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET).
In addressing the new Research Council, Mr. Boland also welcomed the appointment of Professor David Lloyd as Chairperson and thanked the other members of the Irish Research Council for contributing to the development of research and graduate education in Ireland.
Professor Lloyd is the Bursar and Director of Strategic Innovation at Trinity College Dublin and has previously held the position of Dean of Research at TCD. He holds a BSc and PhD from the School of Chemical Sciences at DCU and has carried out post-doctoral work at the School of Pharmacy, TCD.
The full membership of the new Council appointed by Minister Séan Sherlock is as follows:
• Professor David Lloyd (Chair), Bursar and Director of Strategic Innovation, TCD
• Professor John Brewer, President of the British Sociological Association Department of Sociology, University of Aberdeen
• Dr. Thomas M. Cooney, Academic Director of the Institute for Minority Entrepreneurship, DIT
• Dr. Ivan Coulter, Chief Executive Officer, Sigmoid Pharma Ltd
• Professor Orla Feely, School of Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering, UCD
• Professor Caroline Fennell, School of Law, Head of the College of Arts, Celtic Studies & Social Sciences, UCC
• Professor Sheila Greene, Fellow Emeritus, Professor of Childhood Research and former Director of the Children’s Research Centre, TCD
• Professor Anita R. Maguire, Department of Chemistry, Vice President for Research & Innovation, UCC
• Professor Rowena Pecchenino, Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, Head of Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, NUIM
• Professor Sean Ryder, Head of the Department of English, Chair HERA Network Board, NUI Galway
• Professor Alan F. Smeaton, School of Computing, DCU & Deputy Director of Clarity, CSET
• Director of the Irish Research Council, Ex Officio*
*Dr. Eucharia Meehan is the Interim Director of the Irish Research Council